It is well-known that the remaining two-lane canyon section of the Trans-Canada Highway is severely constrained. As a result, the final phase of the Kicking Horse Canyon Project to improve safety, widen and realign the highway will inevitably require traffic disruptions and, at times, full highway closures. The traffic management strategy is designed to minimize and mitigate traffic disruptions while allowing the work to proceed safely and on schedule.
Extended (multi-day/24-hour) closure is in effect until 6 am on December 1.
Exceptions are the last weekend in September (extended closure is suspended from noon September 24 to noon September 27, but with some daytime/evening stoppages and overnight closures planned) and the Thanksgiving holiday long weekend, which will be free of stoppages altogether from noon October 8 to noon October 12.
A detailed traffic management plan has not yet been prepared for December 2021 and beyond, but outside of the Christmas-New Year’s period, the daily norm is likely to be 30-minute stoppages between 9 am and 3 pm and between 8 pm and 10 pm, along with overnight closures from 10 pm to 7 am.
Please note that road closures due to Kicking Horse Canyon Project construction apply only to the 4.8 kilometre construction zone in the canyon itself. The Trans-Canada Highway from Castle Junction to Lake Louise, Field and Beaverfoot will be OPEN even during overnight closures.
From now until Winter 2023/24
As a rule of thumb, the contractor will be required to abide by the following during the course of the project:
Fall, Winter and Spring
- Daytime may see stoppages from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
- There may be closures of up to nine hours overnight, which will require significant advance notice.
- In addition, there may be multi-day extended closures from April 1 to the end of May and from mid-September to the end of November.
- The highway will be kept open for Easter and Thanksgiving long weekends, and there will be two daily peak-hour windows to allow passage for school buses, commuters and other essential local traffic/trips. Extended closures will also require significant advance notice, and the first is now expected to occur in spring 2021.
- During daytime, the highway through the Canyon will remain fully open and free of interruptions, other than momentary traffic control for turning vehicles.
- Overnight, interruptions may range from 20 minute stoppages to 8 hour closures. The closures will require significant advance notice.
During any closure travellers would have the option of taking the alternative route using Highways 93 and 95. By limiting extended closures to off-peak periods, the total combined traffic volumes on the alternative route will be comparable to the peaks that Highways 93 and 95 currently experience in the summer.
The schedules below broadly illustrate times that the contractor may apply various types of stoppages and closures of the Trans-Canada Highway through the construction zone. For actual planned usage of these availabilities, please refer to Construction/Traffic Notifications below, the Highway Status Calendar and always check DriveBC for the most current information.
To receive advance construction/traffic notifications automatically, sign up on our newsletter page.
- July 20, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures and Weekday Overnight Full Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon in August 2021
- June 21, 2021 – Extended Closures of Highway 1 near Golden in Fall and Winter 2021
- May 28, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures & Overnight Full Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon in July 2021
- May 28, 2021 – Overnight Full Closures and Intermittent Lane Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon during June 2021
- May 12, 2021 – Overnight Full Closures and Intermittent Lane Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon during May 2021
- April 9, 2021 – UPDATED One-month closure of Highway near Golden – April/May 2021
- March 23, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures & Evening/Overnight Full Closures during March & April 2021
- Additional extended (multi-day) closures in late May 2021
- Intermittent lane closures in March 2021
- Rockfall Protection System repairs February 1-5, 2021
- One-month Closure of Highway 1 near Golden – April/May 2021