It is well-known that the remaining two-lane canyon section of the Trans-Canada Highway is severely constrained. As a result, the final phase of the Kicking Horse Canyon Project to improve safety, widen and realign the highway will inevitably require traffic disruptions and, at times, full highway closures. The traffic management strategy is designed to minimize and mitigate traffic disruptions while allowing the work to proceed safely and on schedule.
Late Spring/Summer 2022 Hours
- The Spring 2022 extended closure ends at 12:00 noon on May 20
- From noon May 20 until noon May 24, the highway will be open with no stoppages due to construction
- From noon May 24 to May 31, there will be 30-minute daytime and evening stoppages, along with overnight closures (10 pm to 7 am)
- From June 1 to mid-September, summer hours will be in effect, generally as follows:
- No daytime stoppages due to construction
- 30-minute stoppages in the evening
- Overnight closures Sunday through Thursday nights
- 30-minute stoppages overnight Friday
- No closures or stoppages overnight Saturday
- Highway open for long holiday weekends
Please note that road closures due to Kicking Horse Canyon Project construction apply only to the 4.8 kilometre construction zone in the canyon itself. The Trans-Canada Highway from Castle Junction to Lake Louise, Field and Beaverfoot will be OPEN even during overnight closures.
From now until Winter 2023/24
As a rule of thumb, the contractor will be required to abide by the following during the course of the project:
Fall, Winter and Spring
- Daytime may see stoppages from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
- There may be closures of up to nine hours overnight, which will require significant advance notice.
- In addition, there may be multi-day extended closures from April 1 to the end of May and from mid-September to the end of November.
- The highway will be kept open for Easter and Thanksgiving long weekends, and there will be two daily peak-hour windows to allow passage for school buses, commuters and other essential local traffic/trips. Extended closures will also require significant advance notice, and the first is now expected to occur in spring 2021.
- During daytime, the highway through the Canyon will remain fully open and free of interruptions, other than momentary traffic control for turning vehicles.
- Overnight, interruptions may range from 20 minute stoppages to 8 hour closures. The closures will require significant advance notice.
During any closure travellers would have the option of taking the alternative route using Highways 93 and 95. By limiting extended closures to off-peak periods, the total combined traffic volumes on the alternative route will be comparable to the peaks that Highways 93 and 95 currently experience in the summer.
The schedules below broadly illustrate times that the contractor may apply various types of stoppages and closures of the Trans-Canada Highway through the construction zone. For actual planned usage of these availabilities, please refer to Construction/Traffic Notifications below, the Highway Status Calendar and always check DriveBC for the most current information.
To receive advance construction/traffic notifications automatically, sign up on our newsletter page.
- April 25, 2022 – Kicking Horse Canyon May 2022 Traffic Schedule
- March 17, 2022 – Kicking Horse Canyon April 2022 Traffic Schedule
- February 25, 2022 – Kicking Horse Canyon March 2022 Traffic Schedule
- January 27, 2022 – Kicking Horse Canyon February 2022 Traffic Schedule
- January 18, 2022 – Extended Closures of Highway 1 near Golden in Spring 2022
- December 23, 2021 – Kicking Horse Canyon January 2022 Traffic Schedule
- November 30, 2021 – Kicking Horse Canyon December Traffic Schedule
- July 20, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures and Weekday Overnight Full Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon in August 2021
- June 21, 2021 – Extended Closures of Highway 1 near Golden in Fall and Winter 2021
- May 28, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures & Overnight Full Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon in July 2021
- May 28, 2021 – Overnight Full Closures and Intermittent Lane Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon during June 2021
- May 12, 2021 – Overnight Full Closures and Intermittent Lane Closures on Highway 1 in Kicking Horse Canyon during May 2021
- April 9, 2021 – UPDATED One-month closure of Highway near Golden – April/May 2021
- March 23, 2021 – Intermittent Lane Closures & Evening/Overnight Full Closures during March & April 2021
- Additional extended (multi-day) closures in late May 2021
- Intermittent lane closures in March 2021
- Rockfall Protection System repairs February 1-5, 2021
- One-month Closure of Highway 1 near Golden – April/May 2021