Procurement Status – Preferred Proponent Selected
The contract to design and construct the fourth and final phase of the Kicking Horse Canyon Project near Golden has been finalized and formally awarded to Kicking Horse Canyon Constructors (KHCC), who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kicking Horse Canyon Project Phase 4 is being procured and delivered as Design-Build arrangement.
- A Request for Qualifications (RFQ) was issued in September 2019, inviting potential bidders to provide their credentials and prove they have the ability to finalize the design and construct this complex and challenging project.
- On December 13, 2019, a Request for Proposals was issued to a short list of qualified teams that were required to submit detailed proposals to actually carry out the work according to the Ministry’s specifications and schedule.
- On September 18, 2020, following a competitive procurement process, the Province announced that Kicking Horse Canyon Constructors, consisting of Aecon Group Inc., Parsons Inc. and Emil Anderson Construction has been selected to enter into final contract negotiations to design and construct the fourth and final phase of the Kicking Horse Canyon Project. Read September 18, 2020 – Preferred proponent team chosen for Phase 4 of Kicking Horse Canyon Project
- On November 6, 2020, the Province formally awarded the contract to design and build Phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon Project to Kicking Horse Canyon Constructors. Read November 6, 2020 – Contract Awarded for Kicking Horse Canyon Project – Phase 4
The Phase 4 project will realign and widen the final section of the canyon to four lanes, with median barrier and snow avalanche and rock fall hazard protection to improve safety, capacity and reliability. Limited early works such as geotechnical investigations and preliminary clearing will begin this fall prior to the final contract award later this year. Traffic impacts during this period are expected to be minimal.
Substantial completion is expected in winter 2023-24. The Community Benefits Agreement will apply to this project.
Additional information related to the procurement process
Important information related to the procurement process is found in the following key documents:
- Request for Proposals
- Relationship Review Process Description (175 KB PDF, 10 pages, April 2019)
Describes the process (“Relationship Review Process”) for identifying issues related to actual or perceived conflicts of interest or unfair advantage or the potential to create an actual or perceived conflict of interest or unfair advantage for the Kicking Horse Canyon Project – Phase 4.
- Protocol for Consultants on Major Ministry Transportation Projects with regard to participation on an Owner’s Team while also participating on a Respondent/Proponent Team on another Project (130 KB PDF, 4 pages, April 2019)
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure – A protocol for relationship review and management of conflicts of interest.
- 2016 Business Case (PDF, 1.28MB)
- Business Case Supplemental Memo (PDF)
- Cost Report (PDF)
- Risk Report (PDF, 1MB)
- Procurement Options Report (PDF, 10MB)
- Preliminary Design Report (2008) – Phase 3 report includes Canyon section subsequently separated into Phase 4 (PDF, 72MB)
- Options Evaluation (2014) (PDF, 15.5MB)
- Budget Disclosure Statement (PDF)